Student Representative Committee
Terms of Reference
The Student Representative Committee (SRC) is responsible for representing student issues and contributing to improvement of the student experience at SCEI-HE.
Functions and Responsibilities
The functions of the Student Representative Committee are to:
1. Represent emerging student issues
2. Act as an intermediary of communication between the student community and SCEI-HE
3. Encourage student feedback and promote actions implemented as a result of feedback
4. Provide input into the planning, development and review of policies, services and facilities that support a positive student experience
The membership of the Student Representative Council shall comprise of:
1. Two undergraduate local students, elected by and from students (elected)
2. Two undergraduate international students, elected by and from international students (elected)
3. Course Coordinator – in attendance
4. Others as invited
Terms of Office
- All appointed and elected members shall serve for a term of one year
- The term of office for appointed and elected members shall commence in March each year
- Appointed and elected members may serve for no more than two terms of office
Chair and Deputy Chair
- The inaugural meeting of the Student Representative Committee shall be convened to elect the chair and deputy chair from the student membership of the Committee
- Both the Chair and Deputy Chair shall serve for a term of office of one year
- In the absence of the Chair, the Deputy Chair shall preside over minutes
The Student Representative Committee Secretary will be appointed by SCEI-HE to assist the Student Representative Committee with advice and secretariat support. The SRC Secretary will be responsible for producing minutes of the meetings. The minutes will be approved by the SRC Chair and forwarded to the Course Coordinator, who will attach them to his/her Course Report to the Academic Board.
An elected position of a member may become vacant due to:
- the resignation, in writing, of the member; or
- the death of the member or incapacity of the member to act; or
- be absent for two consecutive meetings without notice or justifiable reason, or
- the member ceases to be enrolled in a course which entitled him or her to be elected.
If a vacancy occurs, the Chair may appoint a person who would otherwise be eligible for election to the position to complete the remainder of the former member’s term of office.
The term of office for any member to fill a casual vacancy for an elected position shall be to 1 March of the following year.
Removal of a member from the Committee
The Committee may recommend to members that an elected or appointed member be removed from office if a majority of members are satisfied the member:
1. fails to comply with the provisions of these Terms of Reference, or
2. conducts themselves in a manner considered to be injurious or prejudicial to the character or interests of the Committee
If the Committee decides that a member is to be removed from office, the Committee must as soon as practicable:
1. Give the member notice and the reasons for it, and
2. Call a Committee meeting to allow the member the opportunity to present their case and the Committee shall have the opportunity to present its case
The resolution to remove the elected member shall be determined by the vote of the members present.
If a member removed from office by the Committee believes their removal to be unfair, or not in accordance with the terms of reference, the removed member may access the SCEI-HE’sHEPP03 Student Complaint and Grievance Policy and Procedure or HEPP11 Staff Complaints and Grievance Policy and Procedure.
The Student Representative Committee will meet at least four times per academic year.
A quorum is 50% of the membership of the Committee.
Members may attend via teleconference or videoconference and will be considered present.
Should a meeting lack a quorum, no decisions can be made or any business approved. The meeting may proceed with items of business discussed and minutes recorded. Any items for approval and decisions at the meeting will be held over to the next meeting.
Decisions will be made by consensus by way of show of hands. If a resolution is required, voting by ballot will be the selected option.
Conflict of Interest
Members are required to bring to the attention of the Chair any conflict of interest or potential conflict they may have with any item on the agenda and the Committee shall determine if a conflict exists.
If a member is deemed to have a real or perceived conflict of interest in a matter that is being considered at a meeting, he/she will be excused from discussions and deliberations on the issue where a conflict of interest exists.
Minutes and Agendas
1. Minutes will be taken and distributed by the Secretary to the Committee within one week of the meeting being held.
2. Agendas will be compiled by the Secretary in consultation with the Chair.
3. Call for papers to be considered by members at the next meeting will need to be submitted to the Secretary at least 7 days prior to the agenda being distributed.
4. Agendas will be distributed one week prior to the meeting
The Committee reports to the Course Coordinator and the Academic Board
Evaluation and Review
To ensure that the Committee is fulfilling its functions and responsibilities, it will:
- undertake an annual self-assessment of its performance against its Terms of Reference, and
- provide any information the Academic Board may request to facilitate its review of the Student Representative Committee’s performance and its members.
The Committee shall review its Terms of Reference every two years and provide a report, including any recommendations, to the Corporate Board.